How to Put out a Grease Fire
It takes just minutes for an unattended pot of oil left on the stove to catch fire. A grease fire happens when your cooking oil becomes too hot. When heating, oils first start to boil, then they’ll start smoking, and then they’ll catch on fire. Most vegetable oils have a smoking point around 450°F (232°C), while animal fats like lard or goose fat will start smoking around 375°F (191°C). If you have the unlucky fortune of dealing with a grease fire, here’s what to do.
Part 1 of 3: Snuffing Out the Fire
If the grease fire is unruly or you feel like you have enough time, put on some oven mitts to cover susceptible skin. That way, any spattering grease isn’t likely to hurt you if it does come in contact with your hands.
3. Put something on top of the pot to remove its oxygen source. Before doing this, if your clothing is flammable or dangling, remove it. The following items are suitable for placing over the pot:Place the lid of the pot back on with an oven mitt. The easiest way to smother a grease fire is to cover it with a pan lid. With the lid on (and the heat off), the fire should quickly consume all the oxygen and put itself out. Do not use glass lids; they can break from the extreme heat of open flame.
Place a cookie sheet over the lid.
6. Wait for the pot to cool and the fire to go out before touching. Call emergency services if you’re too afraid to go near the fire or don’t know what to do. Do not risk life and limb to save a kitchen.